Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Get bent.

Oh the bicycle. I truly believe that it is one of the best inventions ever made. Still as practical, and possibly even more practical than when it was first invented. I love the way they feel, look, and how efficient they are.
They have a relative, the recumbent:


It has received a bit of a bad rap. Sure, the lines are not as clean, and it looks more like the riders would play the Key-tar and have a ponyfail:

As far as efficiency goes though, there is no beating it. Put a fairing on it, and you have a vehicle which can look clean, be fast, keep you dry, and carry cargo.
Enter the Leitra:

I have admired these, and other "velo cars" since I first laid eyes on them in the mid 1990's. Leitra's are Danish, and the builder will deliver it to your house (via Leitra) anywhere in Europe. I think they cost over $20,000, so I don't think I'll be getting one soon, but I really think as I get older, I may appreciate the comfort of recumbent bicycles, and may look into them more. Until then, I still enjoy looking at alternative transportation, whether it be a brakeless fixed wheel bike, or a BikeE recumbent.
It really doesn't matter what you ride, just that you do ride.

No comments:

Post a Comment